The Country Lawyer's Office
In 2005 the “Country Lawyer’s Office” was purchased by Phelps native Mary Hicks Preston and donated to the Phelps Community Historical Society.
Built around 1835 this one-story red brick building with four white pillars became well-known after a
book written by Bellamy Partridge in 1939, The Country Lawyer, became a best selling novel.
For almost 40 years, Bellamy’s father, Samuel S. Partridge, practiced law in this building. The building is open on a limited schedule. We have recently refurbished this building for public visitation and use by visitors and the community.